Monday 5 March 2012

On Ilkla Moor Baht'at Baht Boyfriend and Baht a Lot Else Really (I did however, have my phone and a coat) PART 2


Months went by and everything was absolutely fine. It got to the 27th December. I was at work and SB called me on my lunch break..

SB : What are you doing tonight?
Me: Seeing you hopefully
SB: Oh Good, I’ve got a surprise for you

I spent the afternoon telling all my colleagues he had a surprise for me, there was all sorts of speculation, engagement being one on the list. Ahaha :|

He picked me up from work, we kissed, we cuddled and I nagged him to tell me what he had planned. His mouth was kept firmly tight. I was excited.
We went back to mine and I picked up some stuff to go and stay the night at his house (where his parents had just about forgiven me for the previous drama)…

SB: You better wrap up warm as your surprise is outside
 (Don’t forget 27th December around 7pm)

Whilst I was getting ready, frantically searching for some “outdoor clothes” (If you know me at all, you will realise these are sparse to say the least in my wardrobe) he sat on the edge of my bed flicking through my phone (note the trust)… And showed me a picture of someone from uni:

SB: Who’s this?
Me: That’s James, he lives in my block at uni
I didn't even bat an eyelid at this question.

…A long time before we got together, SB had gone on tour in Bosnia where he’d got a “Mine Awareness” t-shirt, he’d given this to me and said he’d been saving it for a special girl… It was a big baggy thing, that I only wore in bed…

Next question came…

SB: Where’s my mine awareness t-shirt?
Me: In that drawer *points*
SB: Will you bring it with you?
Me: Errr… yeah, but why? I only wear it in bed
SB: I just want you to bring it with you to wear in bed... In fact, I’m going to put it on for some extra warmth while we're outside

This was slightly more odd, but, again, I didn’t think an awful lot of it.

Wrapped up and in the walking shoes I’d bought days earlier knowing being with him would mean I was outdoors a lot more, we walked to his car.
I sat in the passenger seat and he put a hat over my eyes to blindfold me…

He drove up through Ilkley and onto the moors, drove all the way to the edge of Burley Woodhead where he must have changed his mind and turned back to head a bit further back towards Ilkley.

I got out of the car and laughed:

Me: I know exactly where we are!
SB: Where are we then?
Me: Well the Cow & Calf pub is in that direction
SB: YOU’VE BEEN FUCKING LOOKING

A bad reaction, yes, but not one that was totally out of place with his personality...

Me: Woah woah woah… Calm down, I’ve lived in Ilkley for 17 years, of course I know where we are
SB: Hmm.. Ok, well I guess you can take the blindfold off

I took it off.
He took my hand and started to lead me up the side of the moors, pitch black and scared of the dark this was not an ideal situation for me.

Half way up…

SB: Do you have your phone on you?
Me: No, why?
SB: I’m just going to go back to the car and get it for you, you might want to take a picture of your surprise

I shouted after him “OK, don’t leave me here”

Remember these? 



This happened well before iPhones and Blackberrys with fancy cameras filled the handbags of teenage girls.. Instead, he was telling me I needed to take a photo with that...

Q: What could he have done that’s so bright I could take a picture on my phone in the dark?
A: He must have written something in flames on the other side of the valley/arranged a romantic firework display

HA!

He returned with my whole handbag (odd) and once again started leading me up the side of the moors, occasionally tripping over bracken, rocks and other wildlife.

Once we reached the top, he turned to me and took my hands…

SB: Do you think I’ve been a good boyfriend?
Me: Eerrrrm… Yeah?
SB: Tell me some nice things I’ve done for you
Me: (I won’t lie.. I struggled) Errr.. You drive to up to uni to see me.. hmmm.. You bought me The O.C Series 2 on boxset? Errrr….

SB: WELL WHY THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN CHEATING ON ME WITH JAMES?!!?!?

Who. The fuck. Is James?

SB: James… The guy on your fucking phone

(Bear in mind I’d let him look through my phone with absolutely no problems or worries)

Me: Are you kidding me? What the hell? I barely know him (or didn’t at this point.. but that’s a whole other story).. He was with me and Alice when I bought my phone and I was messing around with the camera

SB: Well I know that you’ve been cheating on me with someone, you’ve slept with 2 of my best mates (in reference to Part 1), you’ve been sleeping with loads of people at uni.. I know you have, one of your friends told me

In all honesty.. Everything goes a bit blurry here, I was crying.. Sobbing and trying to understand what the hell was happening..

He was completely straight faced, not one ounce of upset showed in his expression, my heart was breaking and he was just helping it along the way…

I tried to explain and find out who had told him all this and where it had come from, why he thought I’d slept with his mates after all that bloody drama we had had and I just couldn’t get a straight answer.

At some point I dropped to my knees, I couldn’t understand what was happening. After God knows how long, it could have been 1 minute, 10 minutes or 30 minutes.. he started walking away… he sped up and then started RUNNING…

There was no way I could chase after him, he was trained to run in this terrain…

“SO YOU’RE JUST LEAVING ME HERE”

SB’s parting words: “Yes, just like you left me”




Hindsight is a wonderful thing:

1)    Oh, THAT'S why he’d turned round.. He was in fact going to leave me about 3 miles from anywhere, but decided against it
2)    Oh, THAT'S why he wanted me to bring his t shirt... He’d planned this down to the finest detail, he'd even got that back!
3)    Oh, THAT’S why he’d asked who the guy was in the picture
4)    Oh, THAT'S why he couldn’t see me the night before… Himself and his friend (the one who hated me) had planned this all out

But I guess at least he’d been kind enough to make sure I had my phone……..



Although this story tells you one bad story about an army relationship... Please remember... Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment